gwenythlove

Gwenyth Love spent her early years in the libraries of Hamilton, Ontario. She currently lives in Toronto with her son, boyfriend, too many animals and enough books to start a library of her own.

The Summer of Skinny Dipping

The Summer of Skinny Dipping - Amanda Howells I'm going to be very up front with you all before I start this review so you know where I am coming from. This type of book is not my typical type of read. The ONLY reason I read this book was because I required a beach cover YA novel for my summer challenge. I generally don't read light and fluffy romantic based non-supernatural fiction. There, now with that in mind please take my review with a grain of salt sand. I guess I was hoping that the sentence "To a boy with pale skin that glowed against the dark waves." had some supernatural undertone that would pleasantly surprise me in the novel...but it never did. So if that's what you are hoping for as well...sorry to crush your hopes and dreams. Even though The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells was a fluffy beach read, and not supernatural in the least, it was still a pretty decent read. The author created some really solid characters. The main character, Mia, is not a typical skinny model type teen that you often see frequent YA novels. She is "bigger-boned" and subconscious about how she looks in her bathing suit. The main male character, Simon, is also not the typical tall dark and handsome teenage boy heartthrob. He has flaming red curly hair, he is a bit of a nerd, and he has medical issues. Their romance it also not the typical "love at first sight" romance that is also very common in most YA books on the shelves these days. It's a very interesting progression from their first meeting all the way through to the end. The supporting characters of friends and families are not perfect either, they are flawed and act they was you expect typical people to act. The book was highly predictable, and as such didn't move me as emotionally as I assume the author expected...but it was OK.

Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want -- Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible