gwenythlove

Gwenyth Love spent her early years in the libraries of Hamilton, Ontario. She currently lives in Toronto with her son, boyfriend, too many animals and enough books to start a library of her own.

A Beautiful Dark

A Beautiful Dark  - Jocelyn Davies I had high hopes for this book. The whole angel thing wasn't something I had read a lot of and I was kind of looking forward to taking a break from faeries, vampires, werewolves and dystopians (although I do adore those dystopians). Everything started out wonderfully. I was immediately drawn in by the quick pacing and dropped hints of silver eyes and mysterious guys. (Hey that rhymes!) The introduction of Asher had me swooning in my seat (or was that just the swaying of the subway train?) and Devin heightened the intrigue to a whole new level. By the time Asher and Devin end up in a fist fight in the middle of Skye's 17th birthday party, and the cafe's boiler blows causing everyone to have to evacuate, I was already on the edge of my seat. But that was pretty much where the excitement ended. At least for me. I'm not a big fan of the whole romance thing as it is, especially when the story is mostly based around that. I am really tired of the whole love triangle issue (more of a love square in this book). It's usually pretty clear who they are going to end up with and you are usually left hoping they change their minds...but they rarely do. The one thing I did like about this story is that it does keep you guessing a little more than most. Even after finishing the whole book I'm still left unsure as to which one is the better pick. I quickly got tired of the back and forth between Asher and Devin, I'm better, no I'm better, she's mine, no she's mine, my side should win, no my side should win, garbage. It was literally exhausting. OK...we get it... I find another common theme in YA books lately is for these kids to conveniently have no parents (or any adult authority) around them often, if at all. Skye's parents are dead, and she lives with her aunt, who conveniently is a tour guide and takes groups up into the mountains all the time and is almost never at home. It's not just this book, it's almost all of them lately, and it's just starting to bother me. I find it too convenient that authors keep doing things to these parents and guardians that makes them "disappear". Maybe if they were around more these kids wouldn't do such crazy things. /sigh I know I know...that's the point right? It's all just too convenient for me, and lazy writing...find a better way to work things in. There were also some weird flow issues here and there, things that I hope will get cleaned up between the ARC and final polished publication stage. The one thing that stuck out is after an accident where Asher is telling Skye to stay awake because she hit her head and might have a concussion, however after she starts asking some questions that make him feel uncomfortable he tells her to get some sleep. Huh? I liked that the chapters were short. I find it's easier to stay engaged in a story when the chapters are shorter. Also, being a transit reader, it's easier to break in between sections when moving from one vehicle to another, and then to work or home. I absolutely hated the ending. I had no idea whatsoever that this was to be part of a series, (or a trilogy as I have now come to discover). I was really really hoping for that nice and neat standalone novel. Well I was disappointed again. Goodreads usually prepares me for these types of things, but it let me down this time! It STILL doesn't show it as part of a trilogy. I had to Google it after turning the last digital page, once I had finished screaming of course...But even if I had of known that there were going to be more books, the ending still would have sucked. I'm sorry...these cliffhangers are getting tiresome...I understand you have to keep us hanging a little on some things...but to just end us all at the cliff is ridiculous...and again...lazy. I might still read the second one...just to find out what happens with Asher and Devin...but I'm really in no hurry and it wouldn't kill me to never find out...

Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want -- Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible